A struggling writer observes and navigates the world of publishing from the inside... And every once and a while blathers on about her own writing.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

NBA (Nail-Biters Anonymous)

I think I've mentioned this before but I'll briefly say it again... On some days I relate more to my authors than others. Today was one of those days. Last Thursday after a stressful and somewhat contentious meeting, I did not. But back to today...


I sent a follow-up email to the assistant to the children's books agent at the literary agency I'd contacted a while back. So to rewind... I sent thirty pages to an agency back in October and then heard in December that they wanted to see the rest of it. YAY! I thought. And by "yay" I mean I was pretty psyched, but also quite aware of the fact that this process is slow, tedious, and often doesn't yield one's desired result the first time around. Anyway, a full draft was sent and then today - after weeks of nail-biting (okay, I do this anyway), and a giddy little thump in my chest every time an unknown number popped up on the caller ID of my cell phone (these numbers were usually from one of three people - my hairdresser, my therapist, or the car service in Brooklyn I've had to use repeatedly over the past few weeks for numerous business trips), I decided to follow up.

So now I'm back in the shoes of my authors again. These feelings of insecurity, doubt, and passion for my own work are nearly suffocating. 

Anyway, this is going to be a short post. I'm in between two tiresome business trips. I only just got back from Florida last night, and tomorrow I'm heading to the mid-west. Needless to say I've been short on time which has left me little time for blogging and even less for working on my new novel, since I spend a majority of my time doing writing of another kind, e.g. sending emails. It's all a bit frustrating.

Okay, I must go pack. I am presenting the big Fall 2008 titles to Borders on Thursday and since I'm not the best off-the-cuff presenter I always come prepared with a script. After all, as I said before, I am definitely relating to the work and stress that comes along with this whole process and I deserve it to these authors (and their editors) to present everything as best I can.

No comments: